Springfield, MO—Washington Avenue Baptist Church began in 1868 as Second Baptist Church and after 18 years, the church experienced a split. Following this split, both groups came together in 1885 agreeing to come back together upon renaming the church Washington Avenue Baptist Church which began in 1886, according to church records.
The church was located on Washington Avenue until 2000, when a three way deal was agreed upon between Drury College, Washington Avenue and Boulevard Baptist Church.
Boulevard Baptist Church relocated to the east side of Highway 65 and Washington Avenue moved to Boulevard Church’s previous location at 1722 N. National Ave. After parting with the church’s former pastor, and after 18 months of searching for a new pastor, the church voted to elect Dr. E.L. Alexander of North Little Rock, Ark. as its 22nd pastor. Under Dr. Alexander’s leadership, many accomplishments have been made.
In 2014, after reviewing the history of Washington Avenue both good and bad, the stigma, 21 pastors all serving a short period; after several months discussing the problems that had confronted the church over the years that called into question the character and integrity of the church, the congregation agreed under the leadership of Dr. Alexander to change the name to Turning Point Church of Springfield MO.
We are so grateful for where God has brought us from, but we are even more grateful for where He’s leading us.