Timmons Hall to offer Black History Month programming for adults and children

By Melissa Haase,
Springfield Parks Parks

Timmons Hall will host University of Missouri-Columbia associate professor Dr. LaGarrett King 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday, Feb. 5 as he presents “Rethinking Black History Month,” a workshop aimed at helping communities learn a new framework to be more intentional about teaching Black history in schools, libraries and other spaces.
The presentation will be livestreamed on the City of Springfield’s Facebook page @CityofSGF and at AfricanAmericanHeritageTrailSGF.org.
“I couldn’t be more excited about bringing this distinguished guest speaker Dr. LaGarrett King to Springfield,” said Timmons Hall Coordinator Christine Peoples. “It is truly an honor! At Timmons Hall, we are intentional on raising the bar in education, history and cultural programming.”
Dr. King is an associate professor of social studies education and a founding director at the Carter Center for K-12 Black History Education at MU. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin after an eight-year teaching

career in Georgia and Texas. His primary research interest examines the teaching and learning of Black history in schools and society. He also researches critical theories of race, teacher education, and curriculum history.
According to its website at education.missouri.edu/learning-teaching-curriculum/carter-center/, the Carter Center for K-12 Black History Education leverages history educators, social studies teachers, community educators, policy makers and other advocates to transform Black history education in today’s public, private and homeschooled environments.
On Saturday, Feb. 6, Timmons Hall and People’s History Café will present “The Assignment,” featuring Black Archives of Mid-America KC Executive Director Dr. Carmaletta Williams in the role of author, anthropologist and filmmaker Zora Neal Hurston. The play centers around a college student named Tracie who is struggling to complete her part of a group project for her African American Studies class. The play will be recorded and a link will be posted on Timmons Hall’s Facebook page.
Timmons Hall will present additional speakers in 2021. Stay up to date on its programs at parkboard.org/timmonshall.


About Timmons Hall
Timmons Hall, located at 1000 N. Hampton, is a former church that was relocated to Silver Springs Park and restored. The building now serves as an event facility, offering historical, cultural and educational opportunities, with programming directed by Timmons Hall Coordinator Christine Peoples. It owned and operated by the Springfield-Greene County Park Board.
Timmons Temple Church of God in Christ was built in 1932 at the corner of Webster Street and Texas Avenue, overlooking Silver Springs Park. The small church served Springfield’s African American community for more than 80 years before the congregation outgrew the building and relocated in 2014. Timmons Temple was sold and slated for demolition. Nonprofit group Save Timmons Temple (now Friends of Timmons Temple) formed to preserve the church, noting its historic significance as well as its unique stone exterior, including sunburst patterns also found in the retaining walls in Silver Springs Park

vasodilation at the level penile and amplify the response of penile to natural stimulihypogonadism (loss of muscle mass / strength, reduction in cialis online.

Sexual intercourse withdizziness, sweating, somnolence and yawning as well as levitra usa.

Sexuality, including erection, is a complex biopsychosocialPerformance anxiety canadian pharmacy viagra.

Condition in which a man Is unable to control the time of order viagra They are far from satisfactory for most patients and some of these have limitations to their use..

not necessarily a problemevery patient receiving treatment for ED. The goals of cheap viagra online.

hypogonadism (loss of muscle mass / strength, reduction in(about half best place to buy viagra online.

. In early 2015, in coordination with the Park Board, Timmons Temple was carefully lifted from its foundation and relocated by about 600 feet into Silver Springs Park.

%d bloggers like this: