By Gwen Marshall
Unite News Contributing Writer
Springfield, MO—Spring Break is over and we are entering the home stretch for this school year. This is the busiest yet the most exciting time of year for many students. Just knowing that summer and graduation for some is almost here can be a time filled with exhilaration and anticipation. During this time students can suffer fatigue, eagerness and bewilderment. As summer approaches some students may begin to feel the stress of unfinished assignments. But the show must go on. Now is the time to take a deep breath and apply some determination to finish strong.
I would like to share a few tips from the desk of Jessica Mize, coordinator for the Academic Center for Excellence.
• Take a time out (but not during class)- Take a time out for you to re-focus on your agenda, your goals, and re-group for the rest of the school year. Find or schedule some down time for a timeout and develop a game-winning plan.
• Focus on the finish line- 2022 was an Olympic year. The athletes had to know how to look and focus on the finish line while in the race. Your finish line is: a certain grade, or a certain GPA. Look at the goals you have set for yourself at the beginning of the school year and put them where you can see them. Never underestimate the power of a well-placed sticky note.
• Have a pep rally for yourself- Never underestimate the power of positive self-talk! Remind yourself in the mirror each morning that there is a task at hand and that is to finish strong. And don’t forget to adjust your attitude and keep it positive. Tell yourself what you want with confidence, knowing that you will get it.
• Talk to your teachers- Schedule a meeting with your teacher(s). Ask about where you stand in their class Use previous tests and quizzes to review and refresh your mind on concepts from the past.
• Study, Study, Study. make sure you take time to study. When you get tired find a friend to study with. One that will encourage, motivate and push you to the finish line. “Remember that the road to success begins with you.” Keep putting your best foot forward, and don’t hold back.
“Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish, but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything.” –Napoleon Hill. I challenge you to work hard and finish strong.
April 15, 2022 – Professional Day Students Out All Day